What is Plan B?

New Covid restrictions are now in place across England after the government implemented ‘Plan B’ in response to the emergence of the Omicron variant.

This means:

  • If you can work from home, you should do so.
  • Face coverings are now legally required in most indoor settings, including theatres and cinemas, with exceptions where it’s not practical, including while eating, drinking, exercising or singing. For more information on when you need to wear a face covering click here.
  • Certain venues, such as nightclubs, unseated indoor venues with more than 500 people, unseated outdoor venues with more than 4,000 people, and any venue with more than 10,000 people will be required by law to check that all visitors aged over 18 have a valid NHS Covid Pass.
  • Anyone aged 5 years and over, who has been identified as a close contact of someone with Covid-19 and who is not legally required to self-isolate, is now strongly advised to take daily lateral flow device tests every day for 7 days or until 10 days since their last contact with the person who tested positive for Covid-19 if this is earlier, with isolation required only for people who test positive. For more information on daily testing for contacts of Covid-19 click here.

For more information on Plan B please visit Gov.uk for the full Covid-19 Response: Autumn and Winter Plan 2021.

It is also recommended that you:

  • do lateral flow tests if you are going to crowded places or are visiting people at high risk of becoming seriously ill from Covid-19 – testing should be done whether or not you have been vaccinated – report your result on GOV.UK.
  • take up the offer of COVID-19 vaccinations and boosters when eligible – appointments can be booked on the NHS website or by calling 119.
  • if you are a meeting up indoors, make sure the room is well ventilated – opening a window for just 10 minutes every so often can help disperse particles.

If you have symptoms, please self-isolate immediately and book a PCR test on GOV.UK or call 119. If you need testing for travel use the find travel test provider on GOV.UK.

The public health advice for people with symptoms of, or a positive test result for COVID-19 remains the same for everyone.